Saturday, February 23, 2013

Amaravathi Kathalu


I presume Satyam Sankaramanchi's Amaravathi Kathalu needs neither an introduction  nor any specific recommendation. I have had the opportunity to read this classic collection of stories only now and really feel fortunate for being able to do so. These are perhaps the sweetest and the most beautiful stories I've ever read. It's a collection of 100 stories, all based in the sacred town - Amaravathi. Lord Siva and river Krishna comprise the major elements, or rather the under current of all the stories. It's a medley of various emotions and facets of life.

I borrow a few words from the end note by MVL that aptly reflects my thoughts about this work:

Chadivina vaari kallallo krishna ponginchi
gundelo tiyyati manta ragilinche
gaadhasathi amaravathi kathalu

Even though each and every story is exquisite and I enjoyed reading all of them, one has cast a deep impression on my mind. Rendu gangalu: it's a simple story of or rather narration of rejoicing the rain. The simplicity and the beauty of it is just splendid!

1 comment:

Utkarsh Kumar Jauhari said...

Hi,
This book was serialized by Shyam Benagal in hindi and one of the Short stories was titled: 'Sooraj ka Ghora' (horse of the sun).

I was looking for that short story. As you seem to have read this book, can you confirm if this story exists in it ?

I cant read telugu, so would have to buy this book and then ask my friend to translate that story for me. It was quite a touching tale and would like to read again. Pity its hindi/englsh version is not available.

Please reply to me at utkarshjauhari@gmail.com