Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yandamoori's Thrillers

I haven't read much of telugu literature, but I guess most people agree with me when I say that Yandamoori
Veerendranath is the most popular contemporary writer. I've read quite a few of his novels and I would like to recommend my favorites to you here.
Casanova 99: I read this novel at least twice and would like to read it again if I get a chance. It never fails to engage me and awe me. It is through this work of fiction that I first grasped the events behind deep-rooted enmity between India and Pakistan. While I can't verify the truth of those details, it pretty much seemed like reality. I thought the basic plot of this novel as mind blowing. I felt that the main character has been idealized very much by the author, but that's what commercial writers usually do, right? By the way, the title of the novel refers to the brother of this perfectionism personified. There is enough romance and action in this book to keep you hooked to it until the end.

Antharmukham: This wonderful novel is actually not a typical thriller. It's a psychological fiction in which the protagonist is a cynic who doesn't believe in love or goodness in people. The story is about how a woman changed his view through love and sacrifice. It's the most favorite of mine of all the Yandamoori's novels and it cast a profound impact on me. Apparently, I read it a number of times. This is a must read novel.

Priyuraalu Piliche: Though I don't remember a lot about about this typical thriller, I do remember being appreciative of it. It's a quite enjoyable read.
I'm not mentioning the other goodies from the author, such as Nallanchu Tellacheera (Movie- Dongamogudu), Dabbu To The Power of Dabbu (Movie - Challenge), Akhariporatam (Movie - Aakhariporatam), Vennello Aadapilla because most of us might already have watched these movies and knew these stories too well enough to make reading them less thrilling. But if you would like to have a recap, go for them too.

2 comments:

Sree said...

his books are good, fiction... Casanova is not my type of a read, dishyum, dishyum, war fiction is above me, but the other 2 chadivaanu.. and thanks for the movie names with the titles, did not know they were the same...

He copies Stephen Covey in all his nonfiction series.. PD books are direct lifts anipistundi naaku...

Sireesha said...

@Sree
I don't like his non-fiction books. I feel that he is not properly qualified to do so.
I prefer Pattabhiram's books a lot better. His writing is simple and straight-forward. Very useful too.

I forgot to mention one other Yandammori novel I like so much - Dhyeyam. It's about various children in a locality from different familes - how they are brought up in different ways and how they fared in life. One can learn so much from this novel. Idi kooda nenu more then once chadivaanu.